Result begins with a noise

Please let us know what bugs you found

Result begins with a noise

Postby jlibus » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:08 am

Hi,
thanx for the Album Maker(v3.04), it is just what I need. However, every resulting file I obtain begins with a short but very loud and annoying noise. It happens in both (otherwise well working) ZoomPlayer and Micatoge XPlayer; when I imported the same files to Audacity, the beginning was OK. Any idea what this is? And, more importantly, is there any way of getting rid of it?
TIA
jlibus

winamp

Postby makeitone » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:27 am

Hi there,

interesting problem, just to add a standard test, could you play one of your files with both Windows Media Player and Winamp.

If you still hear the noise please email me a sample album (if you don't mind)

if you do not hear the noise with WMP and Winamp, I will investigate why the other players are experiencing this.

thanks
makeitone

Weird...

Postby jlibus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:50 am

Hi,
I have tried to use Windows Media Player after a long time and it crashes every time I open an mp3. WinAmp Lite plays everything OK. But: on another computer all four tested players play well. So it must be something messed-up in my machine and I appologize for accusing Make It One (but normal, not makeitone-ed mp3 files work with my ZoomPlayer, X-Player and WinAmp...)
jlibus

directshow

Postby makeitone » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:18 pm

no problem at all. If you do ever find out what is different on your system, perhaps we can improve MakeitOne further.

The reason for testing with WMP and Winamp is that WMP and many other players use Windows builtin DirectShow methods to play media files, whereas Winamp has a custom mp3 decoder.

I suspect you have some DirectShow problems either with the mp3 decoder or some 3rd party DirectShow filters having parked on your machine and are interfering.

I always use Graphedit to diagnose codec problems http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=82&ssid=0&did=1

Run Graphedit, then just drag your mp3 onto it, you will see whats going on (although it will not help with removing codecs)

thanks
makeitone

Postby jlibus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:08 pm

Thank you for suggesting me GraphEdit. Its output on my (i.e. the bad) computer is:
*.mp3->MPEG-1 Stream Splitter->ffdshow Audio Decoder->Morgan Stream Switcher->ffdshow Audio Decoder 0002->Morgan Stream Switcher 0004->Default DirectSound Device
The control (good) machine gives:
*.mp3->MPEG-1 Stream Splitter->MPEG Layer-3 Decoder 0002->AC3Filter->Default DirectSound Device

I have no idea why the ffdshow+Morgan tandem appears twice but indeed, the ffdshow icon in the right bottom corner is double. Thank you for any solution.
jlibus

ffdhell

Postby makeitone » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:22 pm

I suspect you have installed a codec pack that favors ffdshow. Once upon a time, a few years ago, ffdshow fixed some video problems for people. But it has a habit of taking complete and unpredictable control of your media output.

I recommend http://www.codecpack.com/ its very good and non-instrusive to your system.

Your second machine shouldn't really be using the AC3 codec after the MPEG Layer-3 Decoder, but I don't think it will cause problems.
makeitone

Bingo!

Postby jlibus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Uninstalling ffdshow did it! It has even resurrected my WMP. Thanx a lot.[/b]
jlibus

Results begin with a noise

Postby tomkfl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi, been following the topic because I have a similar problem. Makeitone (3.03) files will play FINE on a PC using WMP or other player, but when copied to a USB SANDISK Sansa240 MP3 player, transitions from a "joint" file to the next are preceeded by a loud hiss/scratchy noise. My previous (cheap) MP3 player did not show this problem with files created with MakeItOne, so the problem may well be with the player, but, For test purposes, I removed the first few milliseconds of a makeitone MP3 file using Roxio Sound Editor, resaved the file to the Sandisk player and the problem went away.
That's a slow way to fix a lot of audio book files....any ideas how to fix this?
tomkfl

Silence

Postby makeitone » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:50 am

The problem is more than likely to do with how different decoders interpret silence. I'm putting 4 samples files here for testing, please download and report back any differences. Each file is 1MB and contains 2 short tracks.

http://www.makeitone.com/downloads/samples/short_tracks_-_silence_0_MakeitOne.mp3
http://www.makeitone.com/downloads/samples/short_tracks_-_silence_0_vbr_MakeitOne.mp3
http://www.makeitone.com/downloads/samples/short_tracks_-_silence_255_MakeitOne.mp3
http://www.makeitone.com/downloads/samples/short_tracks_-_silence_255_vbr_MakeitOne.mp3

If the results come back as I expect, I will put out a new version with the change.

thanks
makeitone

Silence

Postby tomkfl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:09 pm

NO problem with the first 2 files (Silence_0_*).
Noise at the start of the 2nd 2 files.
tomkfl

zero is good

Postby makeitone » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:12 pm

Good, results as expected.

I will put out a new version tomorrow.
makeitone

Silence

Postby tomkfl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Wow, thanks, glad to hear you have fix. Any idea how to fix all my audio book files with the noise in 'em?
tomkfl

repack

Postby makeitone » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 pm

anyone with mp3 decoders/players that exhibited the noise problem should unpack their albums and repack them with the new version (v3.10)of MakeitOne.
makeitone

Re: Result begins with a noise

Postby pstrjohn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I have just downloaded v.3.04 and I am experiencing the same noise at the beginning of the joined files in playback. Cannot find anyway to remove it. It is a mp3 file, however, Playback is in itunes. I need to load this file onto a website. How can I remove the noise or keep it from even occurring when I join the tracks?
pstrjohn

Return to B u g s