iTunes cant read new file

Please let us know what bugs you found

iTunes cant read new file

Postby showmethemoney2 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:30 am

I tried twice to have a cd audio book joined, after joining the tracks media player was able to play it but itunes can not. it will not even start does anyone know if i need to change a setting on itunes or if there is something else i can do
showmethemoney2

Postby Canada Joe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:30 pm

I've never tried to play any of my _MakeitOne albums in iTunes ... just did & you're right ... won't play. :?
Canada Joe

who knows

Postby makeitone » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response, holiday season. I can try a few mp3's lying around but is there anything unique about your mp3's? or does it happen with all your MakeItOne albums?

thanks
makeitone

Postby Canada Joe » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:53 pm

I don't remember which file I tried (that wouldn't play in iTunes) but I've just now tried several (some I wrapped, some others wrapped) and they all play just fine, including showing album art while playing ... I'll make a habit of testing them from now on & let you know if I find any that won't play. 8)
Canada Joe

Postby Canada Joe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:00 pm

After trying at least 25 that played OK in iTunes I finally found one that won't. It plays in WMPlayer11 & WinAmp5 no prob.
Audio Properties with dBPowerAmp reports ID Tag [ID3v2.3 (ANSI) & ID3v1.0].. WinAmp5 reports ID3v2 filled in, ID3v1 box checked but info blank. I tried copying & updating tags in WinAmp but nothing worked (except the wrap wouldn't even unwrap after that) .. I extracted the singles from the origional wrap & they play in iTunes np.
When I "get info" on the wrap with iTunes it shows ID3 tag: v2.3 and info filled in. Same thing when I "get info" on the singles with iTunes.
So the tags are the same for wrap & for singles but wrap won't play & singles will.. :shock:
Canada Joe

Postby CH » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:44 pm

I'm having the same issues, and I've found that the file will play if you get past the first few seconds of the file. And neither iTunes nor my iPod will work for the initial play, but after scrolling past the beginning, they work fine. Maybe the iTunes mp3 decoder doesn't like the way the metadata is being written to the beginning of the file?
CH

Postby makeitone » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:18 am

this would be true if you had packed it with alba, but it shouldn't happen with MakeitOne as the header structure mimics a real MP3, is there anything else unusual about the album?
makeitone

Postby makeitone » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:51 am

Done some more testing on this and after taking 100 packed albums and dropping them in to iTunes, they all played OK.

Please let me know if you find any particular pattern with albums that don't play.
makeitone

Won't play in iTunes

Postby Inine » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:03 am

I am having the same problem as mentioned above. I use MAKEITONE to create a single album of Audio books. The fustrating part is that it works for some instances and not for others. It is extreamly inconsistent. Itune's will display the makeitone file, but when you click on it to play, it skips right over the makeitone file and goes to the next file in iTune's list. I am creating the albums using MP3's. Any ideas? Thanks
Inine

Postby makeitone » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:40 am

the only way to find the problem is for someone to upload an example of an album that won't play in iTunes as I have not been able to find any albums that won't play in iTunes.
makeitone

Postby Canada Joe » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:17 pm

makeitone wrote:the only way to find the problem is for someone to upload an example of an album that won't play in iTunes as I have not been able to find any albums that won't play in iTunes.

PM'd you one .... 8)
Canada Joe

Won't play in itunes

Postby Inine » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 pm

Please let me know if you need additional examples after you have the files from Canada Joe! Thanks and appreciate your work!
Inine

too much white-space

Postby makeitone » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:52 pm

well, the results are in and the jury is set to make its judgement!

iTunes does NOT like the combination of a short silence and white-space at the begining of the first track.

The sample files submitted have about 1.5KB of white space between the tag and the first mp3 frame, its not silence, ie its not proper mp3 data, its just white space (zero's).

Add this to the 10 frames of silence that MakeitOne inserts to keep the structure of the mp3 consistent and iTunes gets bored looking for music and gives up.

- The white-space on its own is no problem.
- The short silence on its own is no problem.
- Only the white-space on the first track is a problem

using a program like Tag&Rename and their "remove tag" feature on the first track it is possible to delete the tag and the white-space, after packing the album plays in iTunes.

There appears to be no other way to get around this, merely editing the tag on the first track is not enough, the tag must be removed and that process must also trim the white-space.
makeitone

Work Around

Postby Inine » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:25 pm

I may have found a work around on the issue with iTunes not recognizing the Makeitone file and skiping to the next file. I went into Itunes selected the file, Rightclicked on the Makeitone file and 1) Get Info 2) Options. Changed the starttime to 10 sec's (so that it would start 10 Seconds into the file) and this seems to work fine and the file plays.
Inine

iTunes issue and MPEG-1 Layer 3 vs MPEG-2, Layer 3

Postby Inine » Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm

I have been having mixed success again in using "Makeitone" to join multiple files in to a single Audiobook to be used with iTunes. One aspect which I discovered today is that the "Makeitone" joined files that will not play in iTunes seem to by MPEG-1, Layer 3 files, where MPEG-2, Layer 3 files will work fine after "Makeitone" is used to combine files. Any Idea why MPEG-1, Layer 3 files are created (as opposed to MEG-2, Layer 3 file)?
Is it the result of the source files, although all being .MP3 files, do they have different characteristic's which creates different outputs?
Inine

Next

Return to B u g s