file path is to long

Please let us know what bugs you found

file path is to long

Postby farmer58 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:19 am

Once in a while i run across a albw that when i try to unpack it, i get an error message saying the file path is to long. It says the file path has 320 to many characters in it and even if i try make the file path directly to the C drive it say i still have to many characters, usually more than 250. There isn't that many characters left to make the file path any smaller. Is there a way to get around this? thank you
farmer58

Postby makeitone » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:33 am

Hi there,

This unfortunately is a false negative, it really means it cannot read the ALBW file properly. When it tries to get the table of contents from the ALBW file it receives bad data. The bad data is not flagged until it tries to create the path which is greater than the allowable length.

If we had enough test files we may be able to improve the detection of the table of contents for ALBW.

Hope this helps explain.
makeitone

Postby farmer58 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:54 pm

Thank you for your reply and yes it does explain the situation very well. I have run across one of those type files now. I think I can send it to you if you like. Can you provide me with an email address to send it to.
farmer58

Re: file path is to long

Postby Canada Joe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:14 am

farmer58 wrote:Once in a while i run across a albw that when i try to unpack it, i get an error message saying the file path is to long. It says the file path has 320 to many characters in it and even if i try make the file path directly to the C drive it say i still have to many characters, usually more than 250. There isn't that many characters left to make the file path any smaller. Is there a way to get around this? thank you

I have found the same thing when unpacking .zip & .rar archives, it's due to Windows extremely long file paths .. my solution for them (and _MakeitOne files) is to create an "eXtracting folder at the root of C:Drive (path now C:\X).
In some cases with .zip & .rar the built in path\filename\folder within folder, etc is so long I also need to temporarily rename files to a single letter before extracting .. this makes my portion of the filepath C:\X\a .. can't get much shorter than that. 8)
Canada Joe

Return to B u g s