First of all, I love you. :)

fancy a new feature, leave us a post and we'll see what we can do

First of all, I love you. :)

Postby Kurgan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:09 pm

Honestly, I'm just floored. I just had a friend turn me on to this program, and am practically giddy. I've been using AlbumWrap for so long, and to discover someone's figured out how to improve on the concept, and has cracked the ID3 tag bug, is a huge relief. I've waited for years to see someone come up with a way to edit the tags on a "wrapped" album without corrupting the index, and you've done it. Amazing! A million time, thank you. :)

So, since you seem to be on a roll, allow me to share the two things that are most often spoken of as either a wanted feature, or drawback that some people wouldn't touch this sort of program if it weren't "fixed."

1. A built-in playlist. I hear this one a LOT, and don't really blame them. The definite downside of having an archived album is that you can't skip to specific tracks. If it's at all possible to have that info embedded, so that it shows up in the player's playlist window for internal seeking, that would be marvelous.

2. Storing of non-MP3 files. A big want for years has been the ability to store additional things like TXT files (for notes, commentaries, lyrics, etc) and graphics (cover shots, etc). MP3Wrap already has this, but they've never gotten around to making a GUI, and using a command line for making albums with lots of tracks is a nightmare.

And I'll add a third item to my personal want-list: Either a unique player or, more preferably, a plug-in for Winamp, that allows _MIO archives with stored graphics to display the cover shot when played. (Heck, maybe this would be the way, via plug-in, to allow for a visible playlist on such archives, too.)

Well, that's it. :) If any of those things above are possible, they'd make fantastic advances to an already awesome program. Thanks again!
Kurgan

Postby makeitone » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:35 am

Hi Kurgan,

thanks for the praise, those are the reasons MakeitOne was written. OK, so the points:

1, not really possible (see 3 for alternative)
2, this sounds very much like ID3v2 which allows up to 256MB of tagging data. MakeitOne tries to support ID3v2, although putting a 200MB image in the tag might just upset it. If you are saying that MakeitOne would benefit from a Tag editor, this is something that might be possible
3, For MakeitOne's 2nd anniversary you get your wish MakeitOne Media Player v2
makeitone

Postby Kurgan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:53 pm

Hiya!

Thanks for answering.

Since you're able to incorporate the playlist idea within the player itself, would it be difficult for someone to create a plugin for other popular players to do the same? I'll be happy to give your new player a try, and think it's a wonderful idea, but I've been using Winamp for years, and have gotten used to many of its features (I love the streaming stations it has access to, like XM Radio, and you can hide the entire program so it runs unseen, which is great for incorporating it into a media center --although that part wouldn't do a lot of good when wanting to browse tracks, heh heh. I'd also hate to give up having other plugins, like 3D screensavers that respond to the music). Guess I'm just saying I'm not program-loyal on this, merely spoiled. :)

As for ID3v2, are you saying it's already possible to insert a graphical image into it??? I had no idea! How on Earth would someone do this? And here I thought I had this stuff down-pat. Shows what I know. lol

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. If it *is* possible, --unless I'm misunderstanding--, to add a cover shot to the ID3v2 tag, will your new player display it? That would be really cool. :)
Kurgan

Postby makeitone » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:57 am

hi again,

unfortunately a winamp plugin is not going to happen in the near future, it would require porting the code to C++.

As for the tagging, yes you can insert a miriad of tags into ID3v2, including an album cover. Mp3Tag is a very good tagger and would allow you to do this (check the list of Extended Tags).
makeitone

Postby nerys » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 am

I Don't want to embed information into the tag itself I want to "add" files other than mp3 to the "archive" you make.

IE higher res cover art other pictures files etc.. IE anything I want. Obviously it would not be playable since its not mp3 the only hard part might be how do you "hide" this extra info from mp3 players ?? I have no idea I am not a programmer.

It would be nice. For example if I wrapped up an audiobook it would be nice to also add to this "archive" the ebook version of the book some cover images and maybe a video from the author etc.. These would be invisible since there not mp3 but would show up when you "extracted" the files etc..

I was thinking of renaming them mp3 but this gets complicated and since it DOES treat the files as actual audio I think renaming them mp3 would really $%^& off your program or the mp3 player as it "tried" to play them :-)

thanks! keep up the amazing work on this wonderful program!!

a standalone EXTRACTOR would be nice. NO gui NO support files. just a single executable. I drag the "album" onto the exe let it go and poof it extracts the contents into the same folder I am in etc.. No Gui no prompts except maybe a Do you want to extract this album YES NO type confirmation.

A single exe version of the full program would be nice too so I can store and run it from a flash drive with no installation etc..
nerys

Postby makeitone » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi there,

sorry, only mp3 files will be supported. Important tags are support, so you can add album art. Any file type outside of that will not be supported.
makeitone

Postby nerys » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:31 am

is that for technical reasons or just because?

IE could it be done and retain archive playability?
nerys

Postby makeitone » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:43 am

Hi,

It is technically feasible and already doable, but you have to name the file .mp3

Most MP3 players will skip any junk they can't understand until they find some sensible MP3 headers - afterall an MP3 is an audio stream and each chunk is taken on its own merits.

You can have a MakeitOne archive that is:-
Track 1.mp3
Track 2.mp3
MyVideo.wmv.mp3
Track 3.mp3

I can't say I recommend it as the results my be unpredictable but it will be largely supported by MP3 players.
makeitone

Return to Features Wish List