Any chance for a FLAC Album Maker?

fancy a new feature, leave us a post and we'll see what we can do

Any chance for a FLAC Album Maker?

Postby Kurgan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:35 am

Title says it all. :)

MP3 for lossy and FLAC for lossless is the perfect combo. Be awesome if we could make Albums for both!

Edit: Ok, now this is interesting. I decided to toy around with the idea, so I took a couple of FLAC tracks and renamed them as MP3s (wouldn't play that way) so I could put them into an Album with MiO. Naturally it didn't play either, until I renamed the Album to .FLAC! It played! However, it would only recognize and play the first track, so not exactly a win here. Still, it hints that there might be a way to do this, maybe by just adding "FLAC" as a recognized extension for the Album Maker?
Kurgan

Re: Any chance for a FLAC Album Maker?

Postby Kurgan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Heya,

It's been awhile, so I wanted to revisit this idea. FLAC's become the leading lossless codec, and incredibly popular (I now prefer it over MP3), so FLAC albums are definitely a supreme "want." :)

You'd said that it might be possible, if FLAC has an easy to understand header system that takes each frame as it comes like MP3s do. I checked, and from what I've read, that does appear to be the case...

Streamable: Each FLAC frame contains enough data to decode that frame. FLAC does not even rely on previous or following frames. FLAC uses sync codes and CRCs (similar to MPEG and other formats), which, along with framing, allow decoders to pick up in the middle of a stream with a minimum of delay.

This leaves me wondering if it might be possible to merely tweak the Album Maker to recognize the format without having to do a new, separate build. After all, I got it to work (partially) just by renaming some files, although, as stated in my previous post, only the first track would play. This has me very hopeful.
Kurgan

Postby makeitone » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 am

I would like to add support for both WAV and FLAC but it may be a while before this happens. There is some serious code cleanup required to enable the core methods to be adapted to multiple file types.
makeitone

Postby Kurgan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Would it be possible (and easier) to initially create a standalone FLAC Album Maker for people to make use of, and then slowly work on the code cleanup, ultimately leading to a combined program?
Kurgan

Postby makeitone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 am

its worth looking into, perhaps better to keep them as separate products in the long run.
makeitone

Postby Kurgan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 am

Awesome. :)

Eagerly awaiting any updates!
Kurgan

Return to Features Wish List